Additional Information for Parents
We believe every young person has the potential to succeed; it is the responsibility of Spires Academy to work with you to make it a reality. Over the past few years we have been awarded a number of external Quality Marks.
1. We are committed to working in partnership with our families we were proud to be awarded the Leading Parent Partnership Award. The external examiner identified a number of strengths including:
- The school ensures that all staff are aware of the importance of engaging parents. Parental engagement features in whole staff training days as well as being included in the staff handbook.
- The school listens to and acts upon feedback from parents
- Parents describe their positive feeling about the school: “Staff are always happy to help”. “The receptionist is always happy”.
2. Antibullying Mark
“The parents/carers feel they can phone or call in at the Academy to report issues and expressed their appreciation for how the Receptionist is able to establish contact with the relevant member of staff. Alternatively, they may get a call from the Academy pastoral team to let them know of any issues.”
The Academy does not allow issues to escalate and there are no ‘sleepless nights’.
3. Training and Development Excellence Mark
“The Principal’s experience and positive manner, reinforces the obvious determination to ensure the academy provides a firm, robust foundation of success for the students who attend and the community to which it serves.”
4. Excellence in English and Mathematics
“Great efforts are made to inspire students to want to learn and to be aspirational in their career choices. Students realise the importance of achieving the highest possible standards in literacy and numeracy.”
“The principal and her senior team have acted decisively to reverse a declining trend in results in recent years. Consequently, outcomes for pupils across the school are now good.”
“Teachers use their strong subject knowledge to devise interesting activities that arouse pupils’ curiosity and make them want to learn more.”
“Pupils behave well in lessons and around the school. They wear their uniforms well and treat the fabric of the building with respect.”
We are often asked if we have a ‘Grammar’ stream, our answer is a very simple “No”. We do not believe in setting an entrance or banding test. A Grammar school curriculum is no different to our curriculum. For our most able students we have a ‘Scholar’s Academy’, this ensures we can provide experiences that develop their academic ability beyond what would normally be provided in a grammar or top set. Examples over the last two years include:
- King’s Cathedral Project
- Classics and Latin classes taught by teachers from King’s School Canterbury
- Mathematics Masterclasses at UKC
- Oxford University Summer School
- Durham University Summer School
- Yr 9 Solent summer project at the University of Southampton
Ofsted in their visit commented that: “The most-able pupils currently in the school, make secure progress because their teachers provide consistently high levels of challenge”.
We would encourage you to check out the parental responses on Ofsted parent view. In 2019/20 95% (or 275 of the 289 parents who completed the survey) would recommend us to another parent.